Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Handmade Gifting

Merry Christmas all!

A couple of my family members have recently been asking what happened to jenbeeknits, that little blog I said I was going to commit more time to way back in August.  Well, I've got a minor confession - I took a short needlework hiatus throughout October and am guilty as charged for my lack of blogging ever since.

I guess I'm like most people in that if I allow it, my life gets in the way of projects that I commit to with the best of intentions.  This fall I took on a new position within my school district and October became very busy with standardized testing that I was newly responsible for during that month.  Coupled with the online class I started in late September, my hours at the computer were spent on work, work and more work which led me to little personal computer time, and even less knitting!  I will say that in my hiatus, I learned a lot of cool things about educational technology (I know what you're thinking but, I swear, it really was interesting), and I earned some graduate credits to apply toward my re-certification which is up in June.

So, enough of the lame excuses for my absence and on to the hand made goods since I did get a few projects for Christmas and otherwise, done since then.

First up, a neutral baby blanket for the expected arrival of our good friend's new baby.  Back in October and early November when this snuggle blanket was on the needles, they did not yet know the sex of the baby.  I'm happy to report that since then, they have joyfully welcomed a healthy new baby boy!  He is so sweet and I am so happy we got a chance to meet the little one over Christmas.  Congrats again to the new parents - he is perfect!

Personal pattern for basket weave baby blanket.


I took this shot before I had a chance to weave in all of my ends but you get the picture.  Being that it is neutral (and this shot was taken in really bad lighting), you can only slightly see the cream-on-cream letters knit into the top of the blanket.

Although I was neglecting my knitting basket these past few months, I did find a new hobby in Pinterest.  I signed up for my virtual pinboard over the summer but my iPhone app didn't work correctly for a few months.  After an update in mid-November, I was officially hooked and starting thinking of Christmas presents for my nieces.  I was super excited to find the free patterns for the next few items via Pinterest.

My nieces, Bailey and Allysan, sporting their new Slouchy Hats.
Pattern found via Pinterest at Gleeful Things Blog Site.



My niece, Rayne, wearing her new cloche.
Pattern found via Pinterest at Aesthetic Nest.


Both of these hats called for crocheting instead of knitting so I dusted off my crochet hooks and got to work.  Of course just like knitting, crochet patterns with unfamiliar abbreviations can easily lead to mistakes, which in turn, lead to redoing a project - in my case four times over.  You see, the slouchy hats called for the double crochet stitch in the round which was a new one for me.  Issue two was that I made my first of four hats (there are two more than those pictured), while watching the Amazing Race finale.  Afterwards I wondered if some blocking might help my hat which was looking less cool-indy-chick and more Marge Simpson.  Of course I moved on to hat number two thinking with looser stitches the results would be better.  It wasn't until about half way through hat number four that I realized my mistake and feeling foolish for my oversight, promptly ripped out all four hats to start over.  In the end, I'm glad that I figured it out before trying to block the hats because I'm sure the results would have been less than pleasing.

The cloche that I made for our little miss was a learning experience as well.  Even though I didn't have to rip it out, it did have to read and reread the directions for the shell edging and the flower many times over.  Note to self: don't try to read unfamiliar patterns after a long day of work when all you want to do is watch Christmas movies.

Overall, both styles of hats turned out pretty cute and I was pleased with the results.  It was fun to give them as gifts at Christmas, too!  If you haven't tried to gift something handmade, I would suggest it for next year.  Now is the perfect time to pick up a new craft and master it by next December.

One last update, my husband's socks are back in progress.  With all of my knitting neglect, the socks were put on hold as well.  The only thing making this better was the 40 degree temps we have been having these last few months.  After all, who needs wool socks in this weather?!  I am newly committed though and I worked on them during our trip north this weekend.  I am  hoping to get them off the needles in the next week or so since I am on Christmas vacation until next Tuesday.  Now that it has been snowing all day, he might actually need them for shoveling this winter!

I hope that your Christmas was filled with the love of family, and that your new year brings lots of joyful blessings.

Take care,
Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment