Saturday, September 17, 2011

Challenge accepted.

So I put it out there two weeks ago with my library book preview.  I challenged myself publicly to start a pair of socks before my books were due.  Well two weeks later, I'm happy to say - I accepted that challenge and will need to renew my library book!

Starting from the cuffs.
Log Cabin Socks from Handknit Holidays By Melanie Falick

As can be seen, socks require a special knitting style using five or six double pointed needles, commonly referred to in patterns as dpns.  Using dpns can be very intimidating at first but like all projects, if you read the pattern one stitch at a time it will seem less daunting.

As a knitter, I like to try new techniques with each project.  It makes the project a lot more fun along the way and the finished project so much more satisfying knowing that not only have I made something new, I learned something new.

Sock on dpns, top view.
Double points make it possible to create tubular knits by dividing the stitches over four or five needles.  An extra needle free of stitches is used to knit the stitches from one double point to the free needle, releasing the next double point to be used as the free needle, and so on and so forth.

Sock on dpns, side view.

Rory getting in on the dpn fun.

For this project, I have been using six different dpns because the pattern is written to include cables.  Although many people use actual cable needles to create the twists and turns seen here, I feel like they are a waste of money.  A cable needle is essentially a double pointed needle with a small indent that holds stitches to the front or back of the work so that cables can be created.  Being an impatient knitter, I realized early on that the double points I already owned would suffice and that I didn't need to make a trip to the store just to buy the recommended cable needle.

You'll see for this project I have used a different color dpn as my cable needle (it's the gold one sticking up).  This is important because the "cable" needle, which is a size 4, is a different size then the needles I am making my socks on, in this case, size 5.  By having a color variation I am sure not to use it as my free needle as I work around the sock, thus all of my stitches turn out to be of equal size.

Another view.

One caution - on a small knit like socks, using six needles at the same time on only a small amount of stitches can be difficult but again, by taking it one stitch at a time, you will end up with something beautiful.

After some feverish knitting yesterday I am back to just two needles and ready to take on the next challenge - turning the heel on my first sock.  Wish me luck!



2 comments:

  1. I have made a few pair of socks from a dpn patten, but I used two circulars, one gold one silver. Hard to describe but it works great and is still lovely to create. I must say all those needles you have take the Cake in beauty tho...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MJ. I have thought of doing the circular thing. Did you do magic loop, or just very small circa? It sounds great, also seems like you could do two at a time that way. It being my first though, I figured one was enough! :) Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete